events neighborhood guides
10 Fun Activities and Events in the U District this Summer
Concert Hall on Wheels (photo: University Heights Center)
June is finally here, bringing in some sunny days to Seattle! Let’s make the best of this weather by checking out these fun and exciting events happening in the U District this summer!
Dance and skip your way to the Summer Park Pop Up! On the second Saturday of July, August, and September, University Heights Center + University District Farmers Market presents food, music, and art in the park. This event is free for all ages to enjoy.
Saturday, 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. on July 8, August 12, and September 9
Celebrate the U District Farmers Market at Farmers Market Week
This summer, the U District Farmers Market is turning 30 years old!
Join the special celebration on Saturday, August 5th and 12th as event organizers sell new merch, give treats to shoppers, and provide special recognition for vendors who have been at there since the very beginning.
Saturday, 9am – 2pm, August 5th & 12th
Enjoy a Concert at the Neptune Theatre
Special concerts are happening at this local venue all summer long!
Catch an Improv show with Jet City Improv!
See the best improv teams in Seattle share the stage for a show at U Heights Center.
Limited Time Art Exhibitions at The Henry
Henry Art Gallery will be showcasing limited exhibitions all summer long. Entry to the gallery is free, though a donation is highly encouraged. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon learning about local and contemporary artists.
- 2023 University of Washington MFA + MDes Thesis Exhibition – last day June 25
- Dana Claxton: Monsen Photography Lecture – last day July 9
- Daniel Alexander Jones – Altar No.3: I Choose To Remember Us Whole – last day July 9
- Taking Care: Collection Support Studio – last day August 20
- Sarah Cain: Day after day on this beautiful stage – last day August 27
See some of Seattle’s best stand-up comedy at Laughs Comedy Club
Laughs Comedy Club offers shows Wednesdays through Saturdays. Wednesday nights feature a comedy mix of at least 10 comedians, and Thursday nights are reserved for comedy showcase where comedians test fresh material.
Attend a live show at the Blue Moon Tavern
Head to an Open Mic Night in the U District!
The U District offers several opportunities for artists, musicians, comedians, and poets to put themselves out there in front of an audience.
- Open Mic Night – June 17
- Open Mic Poetry Night – July 8
- Open Mic Night – Wednesdays at 7:30pm
- Volta! Words & Tunes Open Mic Night – centering queer and trans people of color, every third Wednesday (July 20, August 17, and September 21)
- Open Mic Night every first Friday of the month (July 7th & August 4th)
U District Art Walk
Every third Friday of the month, a few U District businesses exhibit art from local Seattle artists. It’s a great way to see the neighborhood while also supporting small businesses. For details on Art Walk exhibitions happening this summer, check out the U District Art Walk website.
More things to do:
- Catch a movie at Grand Illusion Cinema, Varsity Theatre, or the AMC Seattle 10
- Trivia nights at College Inn Pub on Tuesdays or at Big Time Brewery on Wenesdays
- Enjoy food and drinks with outdoor dining across the neighborhood
- Make your way to the U District waterfront for great food, kayaking, and more!
There is so much more our unique neighborhood has to offer. Plan your next adventure to the U District by viewing our full list of arts and entertainment venues, classes and activities, and places to eat!